Monday 2 June 2008

May TIF

What do I call what I do and why…….

I really don’t know how to answer this one come to think of it I can’t recall ever having been asked. Well the question is posed now and I’m stumped.

Having visited many of the embroidery sites, I consider that what I see is art; comparing what I do with these sites, I would have to say that what I do is art, yet I am very uncomfortable using this label for myself. I prefer to think that I am creative and am developing towards being artistic…..

MDB says that what I am doing is not art because fundamentally art is not functional but he considers what I do is functional with creative decoration.

I have chosen to use the palette colours for my piece this month, I also tried to use different stitches, not very successfully though. The colour palette was quite a challenge and at times I found that I was having to unpick work as I had not varied the colours enough.


4 comments:

Paula Hewitt said...

This is a lovely bag - can't art be functional?

Jocelyn in NZ said...

I am also uncomfortable referring to myself as an artist, or my work as art, but I really like whatyou said about developing towards being artistic. I hadn't thought about it like that before, but I think you are completely right - of course one can be artistic without being an artist. That is exactly what I have been trying to find the words to express.

And I really like the bag - just gorgeous. Well done.

Leslie said...

Thanks Paula and Jocelyn for visiting and leaving a comment.

Digitalgran said...

Your May challenge appeals to me very much, especially as I have been using jeans to make bags with stitching very recently. I still haven't done mine I'm afraid.