Friday 14 January 2011

Mail bag treasure….

this little treasure was mailed to me from my mother….it belonged to my great Grandfather Pop…my mother did not tell me where he bought the card or when…but….

…I’m guessing he bought it in France sometime in the early 1900’s perhaps on a holiday or maybe even during the 1st World War….

…my great Grandfather Pop was very fond of his sister who lived in Ireland…this card was bought for her…and she was a very special lady because she looked after Pop’s 6 children when their mother…his wife…was committed to a mental institution….

He never posted this card…

5 comments:

kaiteM said...

gosh, so many stories here,
the exquisite card
the poor woman who probably had PND or simply exhaustion
why the card was never posted
and the sister who had to raise so many children not her own.......k.

deanna7trees said...

what a wonderful treasure. the colors are so vibrant.

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

leslie...things like this just keep me starring and starring at them, like if i look long enough,close enough, maybe they will "speak"? what a tender moment for both of them, tho she never got it, she inspired it...

Els said...

Aaaah Leslie such treaures make you silent for a long long time.
Just so sad he never posted the card, so his dear sister apperently never saw it ...)

Leslie said...

Kaite you have sparked a flame...Yes Deanna I was surprised by the colours...Grace...your words have gone straight to the heart...Els sadly she never did and do you know that this is the first I have heard of this sister...I don't even know her name..my mother keeps giving me snippets of information about my family...